Home Page

Longmoor Primary School

Lifelong Learners


SEN School Offer

Key Personnel With Responsibilty For Leading SEN At Longmoor

Key Personnel With Responsibilty For Leading SEN At Longmoor 1 Mrs Bellingham - SENCO
Key Personnel With Responsibilty For Leading SEN At Longmoor 2 Mrs Dainty - Head Teacher

Longmoor Primary School


School Offer – Written in line with the new SEN Code of Practice – June 2014.


All maintained schools, whether an academy or run by the LEA are legally obliged to have a Local Offer. The offer sets out the expectations on meeting the needs of pupils with Special Educational Needs. Schools must ensure that all pupils, regardless of their specific needs, make the best possible progress. They are expected to be as inclusive as possible, with the needs of pupils with Special Educational Needs or disabilities being met in a mainstream setting wherever possible, if families choose this option.


Who are the best people to talk to in this school about my child’s difficulties with learning/ Special Educational Needs or disability (SEND)?


The SENCO in our school is Mrs G Bellingham and she is responsible for:

  • Coordinating all the support for children with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND) and developing the schools SEND policy to make sure all children get a consistent, high quality response to meeting their needs in school.
  • Ensuring that you are:

       *involved in supporting your child's learning

       *kept informed about the support your child is getting

       *Involved in reviewing the progress they make.

  • Liaising with all the other people who may be coming into school to help support your child's learning e.g Speech and Language Therapy, Education Psychology, Family Support, Behaviour Support Service etc.
  • Updating the school's SEND register (a system for ensuring all the SEND needs of pupils in this school are known) and making sure that there are excellent records of your child's progress and needs.
  • Providing specialist support for teachers and support staff in the school so they can help children with SEND in the school achieve the best progress possible.


Class/subject teachers are responsible for:

  • Monitoring the progress of your child and identifying, planning and delivering any additional help your child may need (this could involve targeted work, additional support or differentiated activities) and sharing this information with the SENCO.
  • Writing Individual Education Plans (IEP’s), My learning Plans (MLP’s), and sharing and reviewing these plans with parents at least once each term in order to plan targets for the next term.
  • Ensuring that all staff working with your child in school are familiar with the IEP and MLP targets and are supported in the delivery of the planned work/programme for your child, so they can achieve the best possible progress. This may involve the use of additional adults, outside specialist help and specially planned work and resources.
  • Ensuring that the school’s SEND Policy is followed in their classroom and for all the pupils they teach with SEND.


The Headteacher is responsible for:

  • The day to day management of all aspects of the school, this includes the support for children with SEND.
  • She will give responsibility to the SENCO and class teachers but is still responsible for ensuring that your child’s needs are met.
  • She must make sure that the Governing Body is kept up to date about any issues in the school relating to SEND.


The SEND Governor / governing body is responsible for:

Ensuring that appropriate support is available for any child who attends the school who has SEND.


What are the different types of support available for children with SEND at Longmoor Primary School?


Directly funded by the school:

  • Experienced Teaching Assistants to support in each phase – Foundation stages One and Two, Key Stage One and Key Stage Two.
  • Early Years Teaching assistants who have Paediatric First Aid training
  • Midday Supervisors with training in first aid, autism and epilepsy awareness.
  • Support programmes in place such as Lexia, Mathletics, Acceleread/Accelerwrite, Physical literacy, Every Child a Talker etc.

Paid for centrally by the Local Authority but delivered in school:

  • Autism Outreach Service
  • Lead SEND officer
  • Specialist Support Service for children with SEND (SSSEN)
  • Speech and Language Therapy (provided by Health but paid for by the Local Authority)

Contracted in by school:

  • Educational Psychology Service
  • Behaviour Support Service


Provided and paid for by the Health Service (Derbyshire NHS Trust) but delivered in school:

  • School Nurse
  • Occupational Therapy
  • Physiotherapy


Class teacher input via excellent targeted classroom teaching also known as Quality First Teaching.
For your child this would mean:

All children in school should be getting this as a part of excellent classroom practice when needed.

Specific group work with in a smaller group of children.
This group, often called Intervention groups by schools, means they have been identified by the class teacher as needing some extra support in school.

For your child this would mean:

This type of support is available for any child who has specific gaps in their understanding of a subject/area of learning.

Specialist groups run by outside agencies e.g Speech and Language therapy OR Occupational therapy groups
Individual support for your child means they have been identified by the classteacher/SENCO/Headteacher as needing some extra specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. This may be from a variety of outside agencies.

For your child this would mean:

This type of support is available for children with specific barriers to learning that cannot be overcome through Quality First Teaching and intervention groups.

Specified Individual support

This is usually provided via a GRIP or an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP).This means your child will have been identified by the class teacher/SENCO/Headteacher as needing a particularly high level of individual support which cannot be provided from the budget available to the school.

Usually your child will also need specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. This may be from a variety of outside agencies.

For your child this would mean:

This type of support is available for children whose learning needs are: 

At least two years or more below that of their peers and the Local Authority along with relevant professionals agree that an EHCP or a GRIP is the appropriate way forward.


How can I let the school know I am concerned about my child’s progress in school?

  • If you have concerns about your child’s progress you should speak to your child’s class teacher initially.
  • If you are not happy that the concerns are being managed and that your child is still not making progress you should speak to the SENCO or Headteacher
  • If you are still not happy you can speak to the school SEND Governor.

How will the school let me know if they have any concerns about my child’s academic progress?

If your child is identified as not making progress, the school will set up a meeting to discuss this with you in more detail and to:

  • Listen to any concerns you may have too
  • Plan any additional support your child may require
  • Discuss with you any referrals to outside professionals to support your child’s learning – this can only be done with your full consent.


How is extra support allocated to children and how do they move between the different levels?

  • The school budget, received from Derbyshire LA, includes money for supporting children with SEND.
  • The Head Teacher decides on the budget for Special Educational Needs and Disabilities in consultation with the school governors, on the basis of needs in the school.
  • The Head Teacher and the SENCO discuss all the information they have about SEND in the school, including:
    • the children who receive extra support already
    • the children identified as needing extra support
    • the children who have been identified as not making as much progress as would be expected due to a variety of circumstances

They will then decide what resources/training and support is needed. All resources/training and support are reviewed regularly and changes made as necessary.


Who are the other people providing services to children with an SEND in this school?


Paid for centrally by the local authority but delivered in school:

  • Autism Outreach Service
  • Lead SEND Officer
  • Specialist Support Service for SEND (SSSEN) who provide:-
      • Individualised learning programmes
      • Specialist training for SENTA’s
      • Liaise with parents
      • Staff training
  • Speech and Language Therapy (provided by Health but paid for by the Local Authority)

Paid for directly by the school:

  • Educational Psychology Service. 
  • Behaviour Support Service
  •  Family Support worker

Paid for and provided by the Health Service but delivered in school:

  • School Nurse
  • Occupational Therapy Physiotherapy
  • Physical Impairment team
  • Vision Impairment team


How are the teachers in school helped to work with children with an SEND child and what training do they have?

  • The SENCO’s job is to support the class teacher in planning for children with SEND.
  • The school has a training plan for all staff to improve the teaching and learning of children including those with SEND. This includes whole school training on SEND issues such as ASD, Speech and Language difficulties, Sensory Processing and Inclusive Teaching. Some of these courses are also offered to Midday supervisors.
  • Individual teachers and support staff attend training courses run by outside agencies that are relevant to the needs of specific children in their class e.g. from the ASD Outreach Service or from the Health Service.


How will the teaching be adapted for my child with SEND?

  • Class Teachers plan lessons according to the specific needs of all groups of children in their class, and will ensure that your child’s needs are met.
  • Specially trained support staff can adapt the teachers planning to support the needs of your child where necessary.
  • Specific resources and strategies will be used to support your child individually and in groups.
  • Planning and teaching will be adapted on a daily basis if required, to meet your child’s  learning needs.


How will you measure the progress of my child in school?

  • Your child’s progress is continually monitored by his/her class teacher.
  • His/her progress is reviewed formally every term in accordance with the National Expectations for each year group. The progress of your child will be discussed with you at our termly open evenings but extra meetings can be arranged with your child’s class teacher.
  • If your child is in Year 1 and above, but is not yet working at the age related National Expectations of that year group they will be assessed using the National Standards of a previous year group. If they are significantly below, then a more sensitive assessment tool is used which shows their level in more detail and will also show smaller but significant steps of progress. These smaller steps are called ‘P levels’ and are reviewed regularly.
  • There is also a small steps programme aimed at SEND children in the Early Years Foundation Stage.
  • At the end of each key stage (i.e. at the end of year 2 and year 6) all children are required to be formally assessed using National tests. This is something the government requires all schools to do and the results are published nationally.
  • All Year 1 children are required to take a phonics screening test at the end of the academic year and results are reported to parents. If your child does not pass the test they will sit it again at the end of Year 2.
  • Children at this schools graduated response 1 or 2 will have an IEP or MLP which will be reviewed with your involvement, every term and the plan for the next term made.
  • The progress of children with a statement of SEND/ EHC Plan/GRIP is formally reviewed at an Annual Review with all adults involved with the child’s education.
  • The SENCO / Head Teacher and Assessment Coordinator will also check that your child is making good progress within any individual work and in any group that they take part in. The children’s progress will be monitored using the schools tracking system on a termly basis.


What support do we have for you as a parent of child with an SEND?

  • The class teacher is regularly available to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns you may have and to share information about what is working well at home and school so similar strategies can be used.
  • The SENCO is available to meet with you to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns/worries you may have.
  • All information from outside professionals will be discussed with you with the person involved directly, or where this is not possible, in a report.
  • IEP’s and MLP’s will be reviewed with your involvement each term.
  • A home/school contact book may be used to support communication with you, when this has been agreed to be useful for you and your child.


How is Longmoor Primary School accessible to children with SEND?

  • The building is accessible to children with a physical disability. We ensure that all  equipment used is accessible to all children regardless of their needs.
  • After school provision is accessible to all children including those with SEND.
  • Extra-curricular activities are accessible for children with SEND.


How will we support your child when they are leaving this school or moving on to another class?

We recognise that transitions can be difficult for a child with SEND and take steps to ensure that any transition is a smooth as possible.

  • If your child is moving to another school:
    • We will contact the school SENCO and ensure he/she knows about any special arrangements or support that needs to be made for your child.
    • We will make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible.
    • We will liaise with the new school and where possible set up extra visits to ensure a smooth transition.
    • A photographic passport is sometimes made in order to help familiarise your child with his/her new surroundings.


  • When moving classes in school:
    • Information will be passed on to the new class teacher IN ADVANCE and in most cases, a planning meeting will take place with the new teacher. All IEP’s will be shared with the new teacher.
    • Extra visits to their new class will be undertaken.
    • A photographic passport may be made to support your child in helping them understand moving on.
  • In Year 6:
    • The SENCO and Year 6 teachers will attend the Primary Transition meetings to discuss the specific needs of your child with the SENCO of their secondary school, and arrange extra visits as required.
    • Your child will do focused learning about aspects of transition to support their understanding of the changes ahead.
  • Where possible your child will visit their new school on several occasions and in some cases staff from the new school will visit your child in this school.




G Bellingham SENCO










SEND Report - Impact of 2017 - 2018

Intervention Provision at Longmoor Primary School